5 Things Everyone on Social Media Needs To Know About The 2022 Midterms
by Richard Greene, “The Civics Dean”
1. “Just.2.More” Democratic US Senators must be elected for Congress to be able to “overrule” the Supreme Court, “codify” Roe v. Wade and restore reproductive rights to all American women. And “Just.2.More” Democratic US Senators would also allow the Democrats to pass most of the following legislation:
* Historic climate legislation that will help prevent an even greater climate catastrophe
* Serious background checks, an assault weapons ban and other actions to prevent more gun violence
* Restoration of voting rights for all Americans
* Incentivize electric cars so that we can get off of foreign oil and reduce oil prices for American consumers
* Help families in need with subsidized child-care and Universal Pre-K
* Help fight inflation and help families in need by capping Insulin at $35, reducing other prescription drugs and expanding Medicare benefits
* The George Floyd Justice in Policing Act
* Marijuana Justice Reform
* The Equality Act
* The Dream Act
- and MANY more
These bills are on “The 2 Yard Line” for most, perhaps the 5 Yard Line for the rest! And for the next 2 years, with Joe Biden in The White House, we have “the ball” to be able to score! No matter what extremist bills Republicans pass, even if they take control of BOTH Houses of Congress, NONE will become law over a certain veto by President Biden. This is Democrats’ year . . . if they seize the moment!
2. And there are 20 opportunities to pick up these “Just.2.More” (or “Just.5.More”) Democratic Senators — or more — in the 2022 Midterms. 20 Republican seats, where the Senators voted AGAINST all these bills, are up for election on November 8th.
3. If Republicans gain “Just.1.More” seat in the Senate Mitch McConnell will become “Majority Leader” and he won’t bring any of these bills up for a vote. Or, if Republicans gain “Just.5. More” seats in The House either Kevin McCarthy or Donald Trump (yes, that is possible!) will become “Speaker of The House” and they won’t bring any of these bills up for a vote.
And if the bills are not brought up — in EITHER The Senate or The House — it is IMPOSSIBLE for women’s reproductive rights to be restored…